Ensuring staff at BTH take a break is important for both the health and wellbeing of staff and patients. If you work more than six hours in one stretch you are entitled to a rest break of 20 minutes through the Working Time Regulations and can include tea breaks, lunch breaks or any other short breaks during your working day.
At BTH we actively encourage staff to take their breaks, but it doesn’t have to mean sitting around having a brew, there are number of options you can do as an alternative:
- Go for a walk around your place of work, to the local park or walk around the corridors of our hospital, alternatively you can join the lunchtime Walking Club which is currently being organised at Blackpool Victoria Hospital (BVH).
- Stretch, your body will thank you for it. Click here for some simple exercises and stretches.
- Be sociable, organise a Jacob joint with your team mates or meet up with someone from another department for lunch.
- Read a book. You can access the Trust’s library within the Education Centre (and we have fiction and non-fiction books!)
- Use your brain, download podcasts, listen to music or learn new skills such as learning a language.
Staff are encouraged to make sure they eat regular meals and remain hydrated throughout the day. This is important for optimal bodily functions and can impact on productivity and wellbeing.