The Disciplinary Policy and procedure will be used by a line manager to address a form of misconduct (both minor and major). In the event of any potential gross misconduct the line manager must always gain advice from the HR Team before taking any form of action.
In accordance with Just Culture, please ensure you have attempted the 4Ws process as detailed in the attached document. Just Culture - 4W's process.
A Just Culture looks first at what was responsible for an issue or situation before looking at who was responsible. The actions of individuals need to be placed into context early, not at the end which often happens.
Blackpool Teaching Hospitals:
- Investigation Guide for Managers
- Management of CCTV Footage for Evidence
- Management of CCTV within the Trust
- Handling Concerns (Maintaining High Professional Standards)
- Handling Concerns
- Investigation meetings - tips & techniques
- Evidence Schedule
- Disciplinary and Appeal Procedure
- Disciplinary Policy
- Referral to the NMC and Health Professionals Council
- Disciplinary Procedure Appeals flowchart
- Formal Investigation Framework (MHPS)
- Suspension Checklist for Managers
Disciplinary for Doctors
Maintaining High Professional Standards
The Department of Health published a framework for the handling of initial concerns and disciplinary procedures for doctors in the NHS. The framework is Health Service Circular (HSC) 2003/012 `Maintaining High Professional Standards in the Modern NHS'issued under the direction of the Secretary of State for Health on 11 February 2005.
This procedure applies to all Medical And Dental Staff in Blackpool Teaching Hospitals.
- Remediation & Rehabilitation of Practitioner's or Dentist's Performance
- Handling Concerns Procedure for Medical and Dental Staff
Pennine Acute Trust: