Q) What should a member of staff do if they feel discrimination is happening either to them or to others?

The most important thing a member of staff can do is to gain some further guidance on what to do. Their line manager would be the most appropriate person to speak to. If this is not a viable option, then they should look at the next level of line management or another line manager that is approachable. Alternatively, they can raise the issue directly with the HR Consultancy Service, Trade Union or Staff Side Representative, who will be able to advise further.

All staff members have equal access to all staff support services, such as the HR Consultancy Service, Occupational Health Department, Health & Safety, and the Staff Counselling service.

Unfavourable treatment on the grounds of a person’s race, ethnic origin or nationality, disability, gender, gender reassignment, marital status, age, sexual orientation, trade union activity, religion or belief are treated very seriously and are addressed under the Harassment and Disciplinary Policies.

Q) I have an illness/disability that is covered by the Equality Act Disability section 6. What "reasonable adjustments" are available to me?

It is not possible to give general guidance on how to make reasonable adjustments as it can vary depending on circumstances. When making reasonable adjustments each case will be assessed on its own merits. Access to Work can carry out a workplace assessment and advise on adjustments to the work environment or recommend equipment to assist.

The Trust recognises that it has a duty to make reasonable adjustments in respect of those staff who have a disability as set out in the Equality Act 2010. On occasion this may mean that an employee will be able to take paid time off to attend hospital appointments. However, what amounts to a reasonable adjustment will depend on the circumstances of each individual employee who should discuss their position with their manager and Human Resources so that there can be an agreement about what is required.

Q) Where should I go to find out some information outside of the organisation?

There are many websites and free advice services that can give impartial information and advice about equality, discrimination, harassment, and victimisation.

This includes the following:

  • Government Equalities Office
  • Equality and Human Rights Commission
  • UK Legislation
  • ACAS – Equality Guidance
  • uk – Discrimination at Work
  • Access to Work – gov.uk/access-to-work
  • Stonewall – LGBT+ information
  • Lancashire LGBT+ - LGBT+ information