Industrial action: patient information

Industrial action

Industrial action is expected to be taken by members of the Unite and GMB unions at the North West Ambulance Service (NWAS) on various dates during February and March:

  • Monday 6 February - Unite and GMB members only
  • Friday 10 February – Unison members only
  • Thursday 16 February - GMB members only
  • Monday 20 February - GMB members only
  • Wednesday 22 February - Unite members only
  • Monday 6 March - Unite and GMB members only
  • Monday 20 March - Unite and GMB members only

This action will affect emergency and non-emergency patient transport along with 999 and 111 services.

During time of industrial action, if you have a hospital appointment, you should attend as normal unless we get in touch to tell you otherwise.

If you want to know more about industrial action, please visit the NWAS website or NHS England website.

Members of the RCN union are also due to take industrial action on 6 and 7 February - Blackpool Teaching Hospitals is not affected by this action.

Important information for you

Regardless of any strike action taking place, it is really important that patients who need urgent medical care continue to come forward as normal, especially in emergency and life-threatening cases  - that is, when someone is seriously ill or injured, or their life is at risk.

On days where there is strike action, you should only call 999 if it is a medical or mental health emergency (when someone is seriously ill or injured and their life is at risk).

Ambulances will still be able to respond in these situations, but this may only be where there is an immediate risk to life.

This is information about when to call 999 and this is information about when to go to A&E.


If you need medical care

If you need medical care or advice, please call the NHS 111 helpline, or visit NHS 111 Online.

Please contact NHS 111 if:

  • You need medical help fast, but it's not a 999 emergency
  • You don't know who to call for medical help or you don't have a GP to call
  • You think you need to go to A&E or another NHS urgent care service; or
  • You require health information or reassurance about what to do next

There is more information about getting medical help on our who can help best pages.

We will keep this page updated with the latest information.