The Department of Medicine employs 18 Physicians and deals with around 45 – 50 emergency admissions per day through the purpose built AMU, based adjacent to the Accident and Emergency department.
The Department is split into 7 Sub-Specilaties:
- Care of the Older Person
Each sub-specialty has middle grade support staff and a full compliment of Clinical Nurse Specialists, and Modern Matrons. The Directorate also has a Nurse Consultant.
Junior Medical staff within FY1/FY2 Training Programme will undertake duties as follows:
- Participation in Unselected Medical Admissions Shift Patterns:45–50 per day with Middle Grade supervision.
- Formulation of care plans and management of patients admitted under Ward Team.
- Draw up treatment/investigation plans for approval by senior staff.
- Rolling programme for FY1/FY2 trainees
- Medical Directorate teaching.
- Directorate Audit Meeting and Mortality Review
- Attendance at the mandatory Foundation Teaching Programme