We are a small team of Clinical Psychologists, Assistant Psychologists and Trainee Clinical Psychologists working into the Oncology and Haematology services at Blackpool Victoria Hospital. We support people across the Blackpool, Fylde and Wyre area who have been diagnosed with cancer. We also work with people from across Lancashire when they are under the care of our Tertiary Haematology Centre at Blackpool Victoria.
We know that cancer doesn’t just affect people’s physical wellbeing, it has an impact on their emotional wellbeing and overall mental health. We see people at various stages of their cancer treatment and beyond to support them with aspects of coping and wellbeing.
This may include support around the following areas:
- Coping with cancer treatment and its impact
- Coming to terms with lived experience and managing loss and change
- Processing difficult experiences, including trauma
- Adjusting to life after a diagnosis and treatment
- Fears around recurrence and the future
- Distress around altered body image and impact of surgery
- Dealing with difficult diagnoses including non-curative cancer
- Supporting people on a palliative pathway and at end of life
We have training and experience in a number of therapeutic tools and techniques, and we will tailor these to the individual’s needs, depending on the particular difficulty they are experiencing.