What does the role involve?
The role of a Shop / Trolley Volunteer is to sell products including sandwiches, drinks, newspapers, toiletries and confectionery to patients, staff and visitors in the hospital shop or by taking trolleys around wards, providing refreshments to patients during their stay at Blackpool Victoria Hospital. This role involves stocking the shop / trolley, managing a float, handling money and providing good customer service.
The role may include some or all of the following activities:
- Opening and closing the shop
- Selling sandwiches, drinks, newspapers, toiletries and confectionery to patients, staff and visitors in the hospital shop or on the trolley.
- Collecting stock from stores
- Stocking up the shop and trolley
- Cashing up
- Offering a smile to everyone
- Demonstrating respect and sensitivity to all individuals and ensuring that confidentiality is maintained at all time.
- Referring the individual to the appropriate member of staff or service if further help is required, that is outside the remit or boundaries of the volunteer role.
- Engaging in any other appropriate activity under the direction/supervision of a member of staff
- Participating in any relevant training and supervision meetings where appropriate.
Where will I be based?
Shop volunteers are based in the Outpatients shop and Trolley Volunteers move freely around the wards.
What days and times will I be required?
Shop/ Trolley volunteers will be asked to commit to a minimum of one full shift per week. Shift times vary but usually last three hours each (8am-11am, 11am-2pm and 2pm-5pm).