Phlebotomy is the process of withdrawing blood from a vein, the process is known as venepuncture. A person who performs phlebotomy is called a phlebotomist.
The key duties of a phlebotomist include:
- Ensuring correct identification of the patient
- Interpreting the tests requested on the request form
- Preparing the patient
- Accurately explaining the procedure of blood collection
- Minimising the risk of infection
- Drawing blood into the correct blood tubes in the correct order
- Instructing patients on post-puncture care
- Labelling sample tubes with correct patient details
- Ensuring samples are delivered to the laboratory in a timely manner.
GP Blood Test Request Appointments
The quickest and most efficient way to book a blood test is via the Sangix Online portal:
Or scan this QR code with your smart phone:
These are booked at Whitegate Drive Health Centre or Fleetwood Health and Well-being Centre
Appointments are available Monday to Friday 09:30- 12:00 and 13:00- 16:00
Alternatively call 01253 956719 to book via Anticoagulation Services (ADAS)
Please note that bloods cannot be taken without a fully completed request card (CyberLab form). This will be provided by your clinician and is necessary so that the phlebotomist knows the correct type and number of sample tubes to be taken.
The following blood tests MUST be taken at the Pathology phlebotomy department at Blackpool Victoria. Please ensure you are booked at Blackpool Victoria for these and NOT Whitegate Drive Health Centre or Fleetwood Health and Well-being Centre. Please use the online portal for booking as above, or alternatively call the anticoagulation services number 01253 956719
NOTE: Blood samples for chromosomes are sent away to St Mary’s Hospital, Manchester for testing. These samples MUST NOT be taken on a Friday as they would not arrive until Monday and would be too old for testing.
Pro-collagen peptide (P3MP)
T-spots- taken AM ONLY
If unsure please contact the relevant testing laboratory for more information
Phlebotomists receive thorough in-house training which includes the following:
- In-depth venepuncture training
- Trust mandatory training, including Infection Control, Information Governance, Consent and Data Protection, Safeguarding
- Hand hygiene training
All our phlebotomists are competency-assessed each year.