REMINDER: Zero tolerance
Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust operates a strict zero tolerance policy and no abuse in any form will be tolerated. This includes in person, by telephone and in writing. Action will be taken against persistent offenders.
Due to Covid-19 restrictions, on-line antenatal courses and videos have been developed to support parents-to-be:
Understanding pregnancy, labour, birth and your baby: A 9 module course for parents, grandparents and carers.
An informative 30 minute Antenatal Infant feeding session from Lancashire Infant Feeding Team
For expectant parents with a Blackpool postcode please register for the Baby Steps antenatal education programme.
Registrations are made through midwifery at point of the booking appointment or self-registration.
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 01253 953049.
The Trust offers high levels of expertise and excellent standards of care for pregnant women and their families through antenatal, delivery and postnatal care. The Maternity department delivers a high quality, family focused service, with a seamless approach both locally and in the wider community. Based at Blackpool Victoria Hospital, the department delivers approximately 3,000 babies every year.
Our Maternity services include a fully equipped Midwifery-led unit and a separate Consultant-led labour ward. Our Midwifery-led unit offers a home-from-home environment with the focus on normal birth. There are four birthing suites, two with birthing pools, and the atmosphere is relaxed and family centred. The unit is for low-risk mums-to-be and has the advantage of full hospital facilities just next door.
The Consultant-led unit has is a dedicated operating theatre, an antenatal/postnatal ward, several spacious delivery rooms, a family room and a water birthing pool. There is also an Early Pregnancy Foetal Assessment Unit run for women with specific pregnancy problems.
As well as hospital-based Midwives, there are also several teams of Midwives rotating between the hospital and providing community services for women across Blackpool, Fylde and Wyre.
We hope that you find this section of our website useful and informative. If you are a patient, we hope that your pregnancy, the birth of your baby and the weeks after your baby is born will be remembered by you, your family and friends as a happy event and that we can help your experiences during this time match and exceed your expectations.
The Maternity department works closely with the Neonatal Unit, which forms part of the directorate of Child Health. For more information about child health across the Trust, please click here
BadgerNet and BadgerNotes App – Coming Soon!
We will shortly be introducing BadgerNet Maternity and BadgerNotes to our Trust, which is an electronic maternity healthcare record system. It means you will no longer bring your paper notes with with you to appointments as everything will be accessible via the BadgerNotes app.
Trust smoke free policy
We would like to remind all visitors and patients that the Trust and all it’s grounds are smoke free. This includes all internal and external areas. For more information see our Smoke Free Policy page.
Our Mothers’ Charter
- Every pregnant woman will be able to exercise choice as to the type of care she receives. We will take fully into account the wishes of the mother in accordance with her clinical needs and those of her baby
- All mothers will have a named Midwife at every stage of her pregnancy. The relationship between the mother and her care-givers is recognised as being fundamentally important
- All mothers will be treated as individuals and with courtesy. We will respect personal, cultural and religious beliefs and maintain confidentiality
- The services we offer are based on sound clinical, professional and managerial practices. Our services will be delivered by staff who are suitably trained and qualified
- All mothers will be kept well informed and we will work in partnership with them
- All problems will be discussed with goodwill and promptness by our staff. Our services will be monitored and any problems or concerns will be dealt with speedily.
The service offered will be to a defined standard which is regularly monitored and evaluated. This will ensure that the health services provided are consistently of the highest quality.