Welcome to Blackpool Teaching Hospitals Library
A professional library and information service for all NHS Trust staff and students who work across Blackpool, Fylde, Wyre and North Lancashire.
Search all of the Library's resources
We currently have access to the following eBook collections on a trial basis until July 11, 2020.
From June 15 the Library will be open with limited access.
What can we offer?
- Limited access to the Library – this will be via the side fire door and NOT the main Education Centre entrance.
- You will be able to book a timed slot to come to the Library to study or use the computers and printing facilities. Slots will be limited to a maximum of two hours and you can book by phoning the Library staff on 01253 (953831). No more than 12 people will be allowed in the Library at any one time, there will be seven computers available.
- Borrowing and returning books: we are implementing a new click and collect service for borrowing books from the Library. You can search our catalogue online and reserve the items you would like by logging in with your Library Membership Number and PIN. Once we have your order ready we will contact you to arrange a time to collect. If you would like to return books, please contact the library to agree a suitable time to drop them off. Further instructions will be given on arrival.
- We will continue to offer you access to all of our online resources and you can request a Literature Search by completing the form on our website.
For any other enquiries please ring the Library team on 01253 (953831) or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do our best to help in any ways that we can.
What we are unable to offer at this time?
- Full access to the Library – you will NOT be able to come into the Library and browse the main books stock, Library staff will retrieve books for you.
- You will NOT be able to ‘drop-in’ to the library; you will need to have prearranged a time slot.
- Out of Hours' Access – there will be no swipe access to the Library and no out of hours' access. You will need to book a time to visit between the hours of 9am and 4pm. Time slots will be limited to two hours at a time. There will be no access to the Library through the main education centre entrance – only through the side door and you will need to ring the doorbell for attention.
- Access to the Education Centre and Facilities: at this time there will be no access to the Education Centre, including the toilets and water fountain. The Centre is currently closed and being used for child care services.
What we expect from you?
- To understand that we are unable to fully open the Library and to respect the new guidelines for visiting.
- To clean your hands on entry and observe social distancing when in the Library.
- To wipe down any surfaces that you touch using the wipes provided.
- To follow instructions given by the Library team and to adhere to all signs.
New Learning Hub from Health Education England
The Learning Hub is a new digital platform that provides easy access to a wide range of resources that are pertinent to education and training in healthcare. You are invited to use the Learning Hub either using eligible e-Learning for Healthcare log in details or by creating a Learning Hub account.
COVID-19: The Library is now CLOSED!
Due to the current and ongoing situation with COVID-19 and in light of the latest Government Guidelines the Library will be closed until further notice.
We will still be able to offer you a Virtual Library Service which means that we can help ensure you have:
- Access to our electronic resources (eBooks, journals and databases)
- Help with literature searching and reviews or documents
- Provide support and answer queries by phone or email.
We will NOT be able to offer any training, 1:1 sessions or access to the Library’s collection of books.
If you have books currently on loan from the Library these will be renewed for you until the service reopens.
We apologise for any inconvenience. Stay safe. Sue, Laura and Michael.
2020 Training Dates now available - click here for more information
Clinical Calculators available on Clinical Key
300+ calculators are now available to aid clinicians in patient assessment and clinical decision making.
Where to access on the homepage:-
New Content Added to ClinicalKey and UpToDate
See below for a list of new content added to ClinicalKey and UpToDate to support your evidence based practice
Access ClinicalKey and UpToDate anywhere, anytime with your OpenAthens username and password!
250+ Medical Calculators all in one place!
BMJ Best Practice is available to all NHS healthcare staff in England courtesy of Health Education England (HEE), so make the most of your subscription!
- APACHE II Scoring System
- Heart Failure Diagnosis
- ABCD2 Score to Predict Stroke Risk after TIA
Access the calculators directly when on-site at your institution or via OpenAthens from home.
Self-Service comes to the Library...
Borrow, renew or return your books 24/7 with our new self-service kiosk.
Summer Reading Challenge
Congratulations to Deanna Harvey, winner of our Summer Reading Challenge prize draw... Deanna said she "has had lots of fun" completing the challenge and is looking forward to the Library's next reading challenge.
BMJ Best Practice
We now have access to BMJ Best Practice. BMJ Best Practice is a clinical support tool that takes you quickly and accurately to the latest evidence based information, whenever and wherever you need it. (If you are using a Trust PC there is no need to log in).
To access this resource from home click here and select the OpenAthens button, log in with your OpenAthens credentials. You can also choose to register for a free personal account, with a personal account you can download the BMJ Best Practice APP and track your CME/CPD activity. See the guide on 'how to get started'.
Useful iPhone Apps for Clinical/ Non-clinical staff and patients
Following the success of the previous "Useful iPhone Apps Guide" the EdTC Library have produced this new and updated list of useful apps for both clinical staff and patients. To view the new list click here
Online Training Modules:-
How to search the literature effectively
For more information see our Training Page
Dedicated Library Service for Ambulance Trusts across the UK
Great news for Ambulance Trusts across the UK... Your own dedicated Library Service
Whilst Ambulance staff are still welcome to use their local NHS Library you now have your own dedicated Library service - offering tailored information to keep you up to date with developments in your specialist area of expertise. Click here to find out more about this brand new Library service.
Health Education England is committed to:
- Enabling all NHS workforce members to access library and knowledge services so that they can use the right knowledge and evidence to achieve excellent healthcare and health improvement.
- Developing NHS librarians and knowledge specialists to use their expertise to mobilise evidence obtained from research and organisational knowledge to underpin decision making.
In support of the above commitments, we are participating in the #AMillionDecisions campaign promoting the work of library and information professionals in the NHS
Find out how you can support the campaign here
Now available to all staff...
The UK's widest range of clinical nursing journals as well as leading titles in midwifery, dental nursing and pre-hospital care... titles include British Journal of Nursing, British Journal of Midwifery, British Journal of Community Nursing and Nurse Prescribing.
Access with your OpenAthens username and password.
Have you checked out our E-Books?
Anytime... Anywhere... 100s of titles available!
No need to reserve, no return date, no late fees. All you need is OpenAthens (to register click here).
See our Accessing ebooks hand out for more information.
iPads for Loan
The Library has two iPads that are available for loan for a period of 1 week at a time. The iPads can be borrowed for work, educational and recreational use. There is no charge to borrow an iPad but you must be a member of the Library.
For more information or to request to borrow an iPad please contact the Library staff. (Terms and conditions apply).
Public Health Teams
Did you know you can access your library service here Knowledge and Library Services