Library staff offer a variety of training sessions, to suit specific professions and individual requirements.
- Searching the healthcare databases
- Accessing electronic journals and e-books
- The Cochrane Library
- Critical Appraisal introduction or intermediate level CA Training dates 2019
Training can take place in the following locations:
- the library's training room at Blackpool Victoria Hospital
- at your place of work, whether hospital or community based
1:1 Drop-in Sessions:
We are also offering 1 hour drop-in sessions on accessing Library resources. You will be shown how to access and use the resources that the Library currently provides to support patient care, education, research, policy review, audit and innovation.
If you would like to know more or would like to book a session, please contact us by phone on 01253 953831 or use our Contact Form.
*NEW Online Modules - How To Search the Literature Effectively
A step-by-step guide to finding information and developing the skills for successful searching.
These modules are designed to help the healthcare workforce (clinical and non-clinical) build confidence to search published literature for articles and evidence relevant to their work, study and research. The modules are short (each taking no more than 20 minutes to complete) and may be ‘dipped into’ for reference, or completed to obtain a certificate. There are seven modules suitable for novice searchers and those wishing to refresh their knowledge.
- Module 1. Introduction to searching
- Module 2. Where do I start searching?
- Module 3. How do I start to develop a search strategy?
- Module 4. Too many results? How to narrow your search
- Module 5. Too few results? How to broaden your search
- Module 6. Searching with subject headings
Applying the skills
- Module 7. How to search the Healthcare Databases (HDAS) (coming soon
To access the modules click here
FREE online training
If you cannot easily attend a training session, try one of these excellent teach-yourself web tutorials:
- Internet for allied health
- Internet for dentistry and oral health
- Internet for health and social care
- Internet for medicine
- Internet for nursing, midwifery and health visiting
- Internet pharmacist