The Macmillan Windmill Unit was developed as a joint venture between Macmillan Cancer Support and Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, to help ensure that people affected by cancer have access to good quality, comprehensive and appropriate information and support.
The Macmillan Information Centre provides a welcoming and safe environment for all visitors where patients, their families and friends can be helped to come to terms with the impact of their diagnosis on their lives emotionally, physically, spiritually and financially.
The centre operates a multi-agency approach to the support of cancer patients, providing specialist cancer services which include:
- A Cancer Information and Support Centre to provide consistent, up to date information about cancer to patients, their families and carers, including details of national and local support services
- A comfortable waiting area with a variety of seating.
- A beverage bar staffed by volunteers
- An experienced team who can listen to your concerns on a one to one basis
- Spacious consultation and examination rooms which have been designed to maximise privacy and dignity
- Complementary therapies for patients
- A dedicated research and development centre for oncology and haematology trials
- A Breast Care Centre for diagnostic tests such as mammogram and ultrasound
- A Haematology tertiary unit providing intensive chemotherapy and blood stem cell treatment to the Lancashire and South Cumbria Cancer Network.