- All Health Visitors are qualified Nurses from various backgrounds who undertake additional training to become Specialist Public Health Nurses
- Health Visitors provide up to date evidence-based information and guidance from the Department of Health, the World Health Organisation and other national and international organisations
- Health Visitors offer a service at four levels: Community, Universal, Universal Plus and Universal Partnership Plus.
Health Visitors can provide advice and support on a range of health matters including:
- Transition to parenthood and early weeks maternal mental health (perinatal depression)
- Healthy weight, healthy nutrition and physical activity
- Managing minor illness and reducing accidents
- Health, wellbeing and development of the child, including support to be ‘ready for school’.